This Bacon Cheeseburger Tater Tot casserole recipe tastes just like a bacon cheeseburger. That would be because it has all the wonderful ingredients that would go on a bacon cheeseburger, all in one dish. Plus, it has the Mr. Saucy Seal of Approval.
I make a lot of foods that Mr. Saucy loves, foods like this casserole, that I never post. I’m constantly trying new things to please his meat and potatoes cravings, but many of them just don’t pass the Saucy-likes-this-too taste test. Well, this casserole did both; best of all, I didn’t have to completely reinvent this casserole recipe. It didn’t have any “cream of” soups or prepackaged flavor packets involved. Win!
There were some changes I made to it, though. Instead of using a premixed spice blend, I seasoned it with spices that most kitchens would have on hand. I used sharp cheddar instead of the American cheese the recipe called for, and I used more ground beef. Other than that, this recipe is one I spotted on the Betty Crocker website.
I think it’s important to at least partially thaw the tater tots before adding them to the casserole, because they get crisper. If you don’t mind a soggier tot, just plonk them on there frozen.
So, if you’ve been craving a bacon cheeseburger, toss this casserole together. No buns needed; comfort food at its best.
- 8 slices bacon, crisped drained and crumbled
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 cups frozen tater tots, thawed
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Prepare a 2-quart casserole with a light coat of cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside.
- Drain bacon fat from skillet.
- In same skillet, add the beef and onion and cook over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.
- Stir in ketchup, mustard, pickle relish, salt, garlic, pepper, ¼ of the crumbled bacon and ¾ of the cheese.
- Spoon into prepared casserole.
- Top with tater tots.
- Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until bubbly around edges and potatoes are golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.