Summer is a great time for cocktail sippin’ on the porch and this drink of muddled strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries is a grown-up version of a berry sno-cone. It’s hot! It’s time to get Berry Smashed!
“Muddle” simply means to mash, and muddled drinks like the Mojito have become very popular. There are special tools for muddling, but a wooden spoon, a pestle or even a meat mallet work well.
For this drink, you mash (or muddle) the berries of your choice; I used strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. To that I added a bit of citrus, both lemon and lime juice and simple syrup. The muddled berries are then mixed with vodka (or your choice of alcohol) and pomegranate juice, shaken then strained into a highball glass over crushed ice.
To that, I added a garnish of fresh berries. It’s so simple, so refreshing, and if you’ll pardon the pun…smashingly good! *wink*
Do try this cocktail, but remember, when drinking beverages containing alcohol, please drink responsibly!
- 2 large strawberries
- 4 raspberries
- 4 blackberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon simple syrup*
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces pomegranate juice
- Place the berries into a cocktail shaker, or bowl, and mash them with a muddler or a wooden spoon.
- Cover the shaker and give it a few shakes to release the juices of the berries.
- Add the lemon and lime juices, simple syrup, vodka, pomegranate juice and some crushed ice.
- Shake and strain into a highball glass containing more crushed ice.
- Garnish with berries, if desired.
- Serve icy cold.