Healthy Soups is the theme for this month’s Soup Saturday and this recipe for Cauliflower White Bean Chili fits the bill. Roasted Cauliflower, white beans and green chiles combine with spices for a flavorful, hearty chili that will warm you from the inside out.
Soup Saturday Swappers is a new feature here; I’ll be joining with other food bloggers once a month (on the third Saturday) to bring you a soup themed post. This month, since so many people make healthy eating resolutions for New Years, the theme is Healthy Soups.
While healthy doesn’t have to mean meatless, I decided to come up with a soup that was an interpretation of chicken chili. Substituting roasted cauliflower for the chicken was my plan; since cauliflower is a source of protein, fiber, potassium, vitamin C and other vitamins and minerals, it’s a great alternative.
Roasting the cauliflower first really brings out its naturally nutty flavor, so it is worth the time to prepare it this way. Just a spritz of cooking spray and a 400°F oven for 40 minutes, and you’re ready to assemble the chili.
The base of the chili is onion and garlic, sautéed in butter. Added to that, I used diced green chiles, Cannellini beans, stock (you can use any you prefer: vegetable, chicken, turkey), coriander and cumin. Garnishing with fresh chopped cilantro is optional.
If you’re on track for healthy eating this year, give this soup a try!
- ½ large head cauliflower, sliced thick (1½ inch), about 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
- 2 - 4.5 ounce cans diced green chiles
- 1 - 15 ounce can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 ounces stock of your choice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fresh chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the sliced cauliflower on it.
- Lightly spray with cooking spray.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes, or until the cauliflower is softened and browning on the edges.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized stockpot over medium heat, add the butter to melt.
- Then add the onion and garlic and saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add the green chiles, beans, stock, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Simmer on medium-low.
- Once the cauliflower is roasted, remove from the oven and to a cutting board.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces and add to the stockpot.
- Simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired.