This Cold Crab Dip recipe is perfect for summertime noshing with crackers and garden-fresh vegetables, but be sure to save it for fall and winter entertaining, too. It’s really simple to prepare and it is scrumptious.
Recently Mr. Saucy celebrated a birthday, so I threw a little party for him with some of our very best friends. It was the inaugural party for our Party Pavilion (which is really the car port we added last year when we did home renovations, but is just dandy as a covered party palace).
Years ago, I had two pieces of AC fir plywood (which is great because it doesn’t warp) cut in half rounds to use for a giant round table. When I use it inside, I take the leaves out of my dining room table, put on a quilt to protect the surface, put on the two halves of plywood and cover it with a tablecloth. For use outside, I used a picnic table and did the same thing. This is what it looked like for this party:
I had intended to serve appetizers on the deck, but there came a deluge of biblical proportions, so we moved them to the lower front porch. It worked out great, because before we were ready to eat dinner, the weather was beautiful. Even if it hadn’t been, the Party Pavilion would have protected us from the storm…I finally have a large outdoor entertaining space that is covered! And I can even park my vehicles there when I’m not using it for a party. *wink*
This crab dip was one of the appetizers I served. Simple, tasty, Cold Crab Dip. You really need to try it!
- 8 ounces crab meat (I used a combination of claw and lump crab, picked to remove any shells)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1½ tablespoons half and half
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon horseradish (I used pure, but prepared horseradish will work just fine)
- 1 teaspoon coarse mustard (I used a coarse Dijon)
- 1 tablespoon minced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- ¼ teaspoon Cajun seasoning blend
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In the bowl of a food processor, or mixer, add the cream cheese, half and half, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish and mustard.
- Blend until creamy.
- Remove the cream cheese mixture to a medium-sized bowl, add the red bell pepper, green onion, Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper and cayenne and stir to combine.
- Add the crab meat and gently fold to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with crackers and/or an assortment of fresh vegetables.