Meatless Monday this week is a recipe for Cream of Brussels Sprout Soup. Brussels Sprouts pair with sweet red pepper, onion, garlic, cream and herbs and spices for a creamy, dreamy soup. Not a fan of Brussels Sprouts? Use broccoli instead!
Mr. Saucy and I are huge fans of the Brussels sprouts. As a matter of fact, his liking for them was a prerequisite of him being considered marriage material, so deep is my love of these little buds.
It is a personal challenge to find new ways to introduce them into recipes. I’m not exactly sure why I’ve never thought to include them in a cream-based soup before, but it was an excellent idea; this soup is delicious!
Brussels Sprouts are a great source of potassium, fiber and even protein. Also included in this soup is onion, sweet red bell pepper, roasted garlic, Italian seasoning blend, crushed red pepper flakes (for just a titch of heat), and cream. I also used a vegetable stock I had on hand, but you could use the stock of your choice, or water.
Ready to eat in about 35 minutes, this is a super weeknight meal. Mr. Saucy has been spending a lot of time working from home lately, so we had it for lunch. It was great!
Hope you’ll give it a try!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- ¼ cup diced sweet red bell pepper
- 8 roasted garlic cloves
- 5 cups vegetable stock (or stock of your choice - or water)
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, stem end trimmed and quartered (or 3 cups broccoli florets)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon dry parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup heavy cream (or milk)
- salt to taste
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter.
- Add the onions, red bell pepper, and garlic and saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add stock, Brussels sprouts, Italian seasoning, parsley, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20, or until sprouts are tender.
- Add the cream.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup (or carefully transfer to a blender to puree, then pour back into the saucepan).
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve in bowls.