In this recipe, Crispy Corn Tortilla Chicken Tenders are baked, not fried. The crunchy outside, with flavors of the Southwest, encases tender, juicy chicken on the inside. Ready in under 30 minutes, these morsels of goodness are perfect for a hectic weeknight, or for any Mexican-inspired meal. And…there are just 6 ingredients (yes, I cheated).
I served ours with re-fried beans to which I added sautéed onion, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, coriander, and cheddar cheese. Those were placed atop a bed of fresh salad greens and garnished with salsa, sour cream and grated cheddar cheese. It was like having chicken tacos, without the fuss of assembling the tacos! Win!
These would also make excellent appetizer tenders, served with salsa, sour cream or even guacamole for dipping. Nugget-sized would also work well as an appetizer, but would take less time to cook than full tenders would.
This recipe is very simple to prepare. Corn tortillas of your choice are crushed (I used a ziplock bag and smashed mine by hand; you could use a rolling-pin, or heavy skillet). Then I added cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper, and some dried cilantro leaves to the crushed tortillas.
The chicken is dipped in beaten egg and then into the tortilla mixture. Placed on a baking sheet lined with a baking mat or parchment paper, they are put into a preheated oven and baked for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your tenders.
And that is all there is to making tasty, crispy-spicy-on-the-outside, juicy-on-the-inside taco flavored chicken tenders! This recipe with feed four as an entree and eight as an appetizer. You really must make these!
- 1½ pounds chicken tenders (or boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
- 2 cups crushed corn tortilla chips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry cilantro leaves
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Prepare a baking sheet with either a silicone baking mat or parchment paper, set aside.
- Crush enough corn tortilla chips to yield 2 cups, place in a shallow bowl.
- Add cumin, cilantro, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the tortilla chips and stir to mix.
- In a small, shallow bowl, place the beaten egg.
- Using one hand dip a piece of the chicken in the beaten, drop it into the bowl with the crushed tortilla chips.
- Using the other hand, roll the chicken in the tortilla chips until well coated (using different hands...one for wet ingredients and one for dry will keep your hands from becoming gooped up).
- Place the coated chicken on the baking sheet and continue until all the chicken is coated.
- Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the coating is lightly, golden brown and the chicken is done.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.