Slow Cooker Beef Brisket (Crock-Pot Recipe)
Author: The Saucy Southerner
Recipe type: Entree
- 4 lbs. beef brisket (not corned beef brisket)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- FOR THE GRAVY:
- about 1/4 cup flour
- Place onions and mushrooms in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add enough water to cover the bottom of the cooker, about half way up the level of the onions and mushrooms.
- Place brisket, fat side up, on top of the onions and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle garlic on top and add salt and ground pepper.
- In a small bowl add the tomato paste, vinegars, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar, whisk to combine.
- Using a spoon, spread the tomato paste mixture on the top of the beef.
- Cover crock pot and cook on low 8-10 hours.
- FOR THE GRAVY:
- Remove brisket from the slow cooker place on serving plate.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the onions and mushrooms and place on top of the beef.
- Cover tightly with foil to retain the heat.
- Turn crock pot temperature to high.
- Place the flour in a small bowl.
- Using a ladle, remove about half a cup of the liquid from the crock pot and add to the flour.
- Whisk until there are no flour lumps and add back to the liquid in the crock pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently with whisk until thickened.
- Serve the gravy with the roast, onion and mushrooms, or over potatoes, rice or egg noodles, on the side.
Recipe by The Saucy Southerner at http://www.thesaucysoutherner.com/slow-cooker-beef-brisket-crock-pot-recipe/