Today I’m pairing up with Dominex® “The Eggplant People” and Meatless Monday. This recipe for Eggplant Cutlet Salad also has Balsamic Roasted Onions and Artichoke Hearts, crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, fresh oregano leaves and a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette. Ready to eat in 20 minutes? You gotta love the convenience of Dominex®, sourced fresh from the field, products.
Meatless Monday and Dominex teamed up to get the word out, through Meatless Monday bloggers, about their fabulous range of vegan and vegetarian products. Since I have a difficult time finding fresh eggplant on a regular basis in my local market, I was anxious to try the Dominex product line.
I had an idea for a recipe using their AngelMeatballs, the healthiest “meatball” available. Unfortunately, the market locally which carries Dominex products didn’t stock this product.
But…they did stock the award-winning Eggplant Cutlets; so another idea was born. This salad is very simple to prepare in about 20 minutes. The eggplant cutlets, as well as the red onion and artichoke hearts all cook on the same baking sheet in 15 minutes. Drizzled with a balsamic vinaigrette, the onion and artichoke hearts get a lovely char while the eggplant cutlets bake.
Assembly of the salad is completed by using fresh spring greens, the cooked eggplant cutlets, onions and artichoke hearts, along with some crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, fresh oregano leaves and a splash of balsamic vinaigrette.
Since the eggplant cutlets are coated in an Italian-seasoning breading, the flavors of this salad are fantastic; the meaty texture of eggplant make it a healthy and satisfying meat substitute. Try Dominex® eggplant products! If your local market doesn’t carry them, ask about them. Dominex brand eggplant products take the time and guesswork out of cooking eggplant.
- 1 -16 ounce package Dominex® Eggplant Cutlets
- 1 large red onion, stem end intact, cut into ⅛ wedges
- 1 -12 ounce jar artichoke hearts, drained and dried on a paper towel
- 10 ounces organic spring salad greens
- ¼ cup Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves
- FOR THE BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE:
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon honey
- salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a large baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the balsamic vinaigrette.
- Whisk to combine.
- Place the eggplant cutlets, onion wedges and artichoke hearts on the prepared baking sheet.
- Using pastry brush (or with a spoon) drizzle some of the balsamic vinegar on the onions and the artichokes (reserving the rest).
- Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven.
- In a large bowl, or on individual serving plates, assemble the salad using the spring greens as a base, adding the eggplant cutlets (you may need to halve or quarter larger slices), onions and artichokes.
- Sprinkle the salad with Gorgonzola crumbles and fresh oregano leaves and add a drizzle of the reserved balsamic vinaigrette and serve immediately.