It’s Summer and it’s hot out there. And the way I figure it, why should the kids have all the fun? This for grown-ups only Kahlua Fudgesicle recipe is just for us! Made with rich dark chocolate, Kahlua (coffee liqueur), with a hint of vanilla, they’re so creamy, so dreamy; you won’t find anything like this on the ice cream truck!
For some reason, I’ve been craving fudgesicles lately. Maybe because it’s turned into the typical Southern Summer: Hot and Humid. The air is so thick and sticky you can almost stir it with a spoon. Weather like that calls for something cold. Icy cold and refreshing. And boozy. To help us get through this misery.
Well, that called for action. And I have delivered with this simple recipe for Kahlua Fudgesicles. Modified from On a Stick, this recipe fills four regular-sized popsicle molds (about 3 ounces each). Don’t have popsicle molds? These are the ones I’m ordering to replace my current set: Onyx Stainless Steel Popsicle Mold
One addition I’ve made, which is optional but adds a lot, is black cocoa powder. I didn’t use enough to alter the color to a darker chocolate look, but just the right amount to impart an intensely dark chocolate flavor. Black cocoa powder is a Dutch processed cocoa; this process lowers the acidity, increases solubility, enhances color (hence the super blackness) and smooths the flavor. If you can’t find it locally, here’s a good source for Black Cocoa Powder – 1 Lb.
The only thing I would have done differently with this recipe is to double it! I can promise you, I’ll be making them again and again. You get hopping and try them too! You won’t regret it.
- 3 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate (you could use chips; I used 60% cacao bar chocolate)
- 1 cup whole milk
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon black cocoa powder (optional)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup Kahlua (or other coffee-flavored liqueur)
- 1½ teaspoons butter (1/2 a tablespoon)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan, over low heat, ad the chocolate and stir to melt.
- Add the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, corn starch and salt and whisk to combine.
- Increase the heat to medium and continue whisking until the mixture thickens (about 5 minutes)
- Remove from heat.
- Add the Kahlua, butter and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Allow to cool slightly, pour into a measuring cup (or a small pitcher with a spout) for ease of pouring into the popsicle molds.
- Pour the mixture into the molds, insert sticks and freeze.
Disclosure: I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from the following links.
The Saucy Southerner is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through their affiliate links. Each of your purchases via our Amazon affiliation links supports our cause at no additional cost to you.