This recipe for a fabulous Fall Salad of Kale and Butternut Squash comes together in just minutes. Yes…minutes! The Kale is slightly steamed (with an easy trick to do it), and instead of oven-roasting the Butternut Squash, I have sautéed it in a skillet. Almonds, Pomegranate seeds and a simple balsamic vinaigrette round out this super-tasty, nutritious salad.
I adore greens of any kind, and kale is high on the list. It’s loaded with nutrition, including: Potassium, protein, calcium, vitamins A, B-6 and C, iron and magnesium. It’s very low in calories, too!
For this salad, I purchased a box of baby kale, so I didn’t even stem it or chop it. But if you buy a bundle of big kale leaves, you’ll want to remove the stems and chop (or tear) the leaves.
The trick I used for quick-steaming the kale is so simple…I just wrapped it in a damp paper towel and microwaved it on high for about 30 seconds! Since this kale was small and tender, it might take a bit longer if you’re using a larger leaf.
Instead of oven-roasting the butternut squash, I sautéed it in a skillet for about 5 minutes over medium heat, after I tossed it with a tiny bit of olive oil. The flavor is the same, and it’s much quicker!
I tossed on some pomegranate seeds, some toasted almond slices and a simple balsamic vinaigrette. Done. Total prep and cook time was under 20 minutes and this salad is delightful. The prepared salad, before adding dressing, keeps nicely in the refrigerator for lunch the next day.
Do, try it!
- PER SERVING:
- 3 cups kale leaves (stemmed and chopped, if large)
- 1½ cups cubed butternut squash (about ½" cubes)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- ¼ cup toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Wrap the kale in a damp paper towel.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high for 30 seconds (or more if kale is larger leaves).
- Place the butternut squash cubes in a small bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and ground pepper.
- Place the prepared butternut squash into a small skillet, over medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes (stirring occasionally to turn), or until fork tender and golden brown on the sides.
- Remove from heat.
- Place the steamed kale onto a plate and top with butternut squash, toasted almond slices, and pomegranate seeds.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the balsamic dressing over the salad.
- Serve immediately.