This week’s Meatless Monday meal is a recipe for Kale, Walnuts and Sweet Pepper Pappardelle. This simple pasta dish is ready for the table in about 15 minutes, so it’s just perfect for a manic Monday, or any time.
For this recipe, I’ve combined walnuts, sweet bell peppers, garlic, green onion sautéed in a smidge of olive oil. To that I added kale to wilt at the last minute and cherry tomatoes to just heat through.
That mixture is tossed with some herb and garlic pappardelle (of course, you could use your favorite pasta) and sprinkled with a bit of fresh rosemary. Since my pappardelle was a variety that was cooked to al dente in just 3 minutes, this was a super-speedy meal to make.
You won’t believe how delicious this easy entrée really is; it’s filled with flavor and nutrition. Do try it.
- 6 ounces herb and garlic pappardelle (or your favorite pasta), cooked according to the package instructions for al dente
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sweet bell peppers, cut length-wise into strips (I used orange and yellow)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced (about ¼ cup)
- 2 cups packed fresh kale, washed stemmed and chopped (I used baby kale, so I didn't have to stem or chop it)
- 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, add the walnuts cook about 2 minutes or until light brown, stirring frequently.
- Add sweet peppers, garlic and onions and allow to cook for about 3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp tender.
- Add the kale and tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Place a cover on the pan and leave on heat for one minute.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Put pasta in a large shallow bowl.
- Top with kale and pepper mixture, add rosemary, salt and pepper and toss gently to coat.
- Serve immediately.