Today’s Meatless Monday is a recipe for Mushy Joes. Mushy Joes are Sloppy Joes Meatless cousin; the same flavor, the same texture, the same sloppy deliciousness, without the meat.
Who doesn’t love a Sloppy Joe? So for Meatless Monday I decided to come up with a meatless version using mushrooms instead of ground beef.
Just as simple to prepare, Mushy Joes are ready for the table in under 30 minutes. I coarsely chopped a combination of white button and baby Portobello mushrooms. They were sautéed in a skillet with a bit of olive oil, onions, sweet bell peppers, and garlic. Once all of the vegetables were soft, I added tomatoes with green chilies, tomato paste and sauce, Worcestershire sauce, a dash of Tabasco, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes.
You cannot get easier, or more tasty. Do try them!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ pounds mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 -10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chilies (drained well)
- 1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco (or your favorite hot sauce - this seems like a lot, but it isn't too hot at all)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Hamburger buns
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms, onions, bell peppers and stir to combine.
- Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and continue to saute for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes with chilies, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire and Tabasco.
- Stir to combine.
- Add salt, ground black pepper and crushed red peppers, to taste
- Simmer to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot on hamburger buns.