This recipe for Pasta with Kale, Gorgonzola and Caramelized Onions is ready in about 35 minutes, serves four, and is simple, elegant and delicious; all the perfect combination for a hectic weeknight Meatless Monday meal (or any night).
Simple is always better, in my book, for pasta meals. This one is simple, very elegant, and absolutely delicious.
Wilted baby kale leaves top the pasta of your choice, along with onions caramelized in a bit of butter and olive oil and thyme, crushed red pepper flakes, balsamic vinegar, a titch of sugar and salt. Crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (or the bleu cheese of your choice) is added for the final touch, giving the pasta a piquant flavor.
For the pasta, I used fettuccine nests that cooked to al dente in five minutes. So while the pasta water was coming to a boil, I put my butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat to caramelize the thinly sliced onion. After the onions began cooking, I added a pinch of salt, a pinch of sugar, a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and one teaspoon of dried thyme leaves.
After about 15 minutes, I added one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar to the onions and continued to cook them for another 10 minutes, until they were golden brown.
In the meantime, the pasta had cooked and I removed it to a colander with pasta tongs, reserving about one cup of the pasta cooking liquid in the pan. I returned the pan with the water to the cook top and added the baby kale leaves, stirring them just until they wilted.
Once the onions were done, I drained the liquid from the kale over the pasta that was holding in the colander, plated the now hot pasta with the wilted kale, caramelized onions and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese over the top.
You will not believe how tasty this pasta is, so you must try it for yourself. I could not stop eating it!
- 1 pound pasta, cooked according to package instructions for al dente, removed from pan to colander with tongs, reserving 1 cup of liquid in pan.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large onions, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 pinch each of salt, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 ounces kale, washed, stemmed and chopped (I used baby kale, so I didn't chop mine.)
- 3 ounces Gorgonzola (or your favorite blue cheese), crumbled
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the butter and the olive oil.
- Add the onions along with the salt, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes and sauté for 15 minutes until softened.
- Add the balsamic vinegar.
- Increase the heat slightly and cook for another 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, boil a large pan of water, add some salt and cook the pasta according to the package instructions for al dente.
- Remove the cooked pasta from the pan with tongs, reserving about 1 cup of the water in the pan.
- Add the kale to the reserved pasta water and return to the stove for about 4 minutes of cooking, or until the kale is wilted. Drain the kale water over the reserved pasta.
- Plate the pasta with the kale, caramelized onions and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese and serve immediately.
- Alternately, you could add the pasta to the pan with the drained kale, stir in the onion mixture and half the cheese, and toss together. Serve topped with the remaining cheese.