This simple, flavorful recipe for Prosciutto Stuffed Mushrooms makes a gorgeous party tray, excellent snacks (hot or cold) or a great side dish for grilled meats. Get ready to please the mushroom lover in your life.
Several months ago I was tasked with bringing an appetizer to a party. I scanned the refrigerator for ingredients and came up with these mushrooms. While I wrote the recipe down as I was making them (I always do this), I didn’t photograph them for a post.
So, this weekend, I made them again so I could share them with you. They are really great and I hope you will give them a try!
- 15 extra-large mushrooms with stems (or 25 large mushrooms with stems), brushed clean, stems removed, chopped and set aside (about 2 cups chopped stems)
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons butter for the baking sheet/dish
- ½ cup diced green onion
- ½ cup diced prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons extra dry vermouth
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup Panko crumbs
- ¾ cup grated Jarlsberg cheese (or cheese of your choice - Gruyere or Swiss work well too)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a baking sheet or pan by rubbing it with butter.
- Place the cleaned mushrooms, with the stems removed, on the baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the butter and allow to melt.
- Add the chopped mushrooms stems to the skillet and saute until they begin to soften (about 5 minutes).
- Add the green onions and prosciutto to the mushroom mixture and continue to cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the vermouth and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the thyme, sage, salt and red pepper flakes and stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and add the Panko crumbs and cheese and stir to combine.
- Using a spoon, scoop the mixture into the mushroom caps, piling the mixture into a rounded heap.
- Once all the mixture is distributed among the mushrooms, place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and serve.