Roasted Cauliflower stars with Basil, Toasted Walnuts and Bleu Cheese in this recipe for a flavorful, delightfully different spread. The toasted, nutty flavor of the cauliflower is enhanced by the walnuts; fresh basil and bleu cheese add just the right touch of piquancy. Perfect for crackers, vegetables, sandwiches or fruit slices (apple is awesome), this spread is ready to eat in about 30 minutes.
I am always dreaming up new appetizers that will work well for other uses and this spread doesn’t disappoint. With all that has been going on in my life lately, my brain wasn’t working when I last went to the market. I came home with a beautiful head of cauliflower to find that I had two more in the refrigerator.
One I used on a crudité platter, one I still have plans for (so be watching) and one I used for this truly delicious spread. I broke the cauliflower up into florets which I lightly coated with olive oil, salt and pepper; it roasted in the oven for 25 minutes.
The roasted cauliflower was combined in a food processor with basil leaves, toasted walnuts, Greek-style yogurt, bleu cheese, roasted garlic, honey, lemon juice and a shake of crushed red pepper flakes; processed until it was smooth, this simple spread has complex flavors that will wow your taste buds!
I hope you’ll give it a try!
- 6 cups cauliflower florets (about 1 medium-sized head)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (loosely packed)
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (plain)
- 2 ounces bleu cheese (I used a Roquefort)
- 2 cloves roasted garlic (you could use raw, but reduce to one)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- shake of crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl add the cauliflower florets, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine.
- Spread on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring once during the baking time.
- Remove from the oven and place in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and pulse until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove the spread from the processor into a bowl to serve.