This super-easy twist on the classic Sausage Cheese Ball recipe is made using a can of refrigerated crescent dinner rolls. They are unbelievably moist, tender, spicy, cheesy, goodness; perfect for holiday entertaining and snacking, you’d better make a double batch – they won’t last long!
Pillsbury published a recipe using a can of refrigerated crescent dinner rolls for sausage cheese balls. Since I hadn’t made my annual boatload of these delicious morsels yet, I decided to give them a try.
The crescent rolls are rolled out of the can on a lightly floured surface, then dusted with some more flour on top. Then, using a pizza cutter, I sliced the dough into about 1/4 inch squares.
Those bits of dough were then mixed in with some bulk sage sausage (I make my own), a combination of smoked cheddar and sharp cheddar, some crushed dried rosemary, thyme leaves, a dash of cayenne pepper, a shake of crushed red pepper flakes (you could use a sage sausage, or a hot sausage and eliminate the cayenne and red pepper flakes). Just mix this up by hand until all the sausage, cheese and dough bits are evenly distributed.
Once you’ve got your mixture complete, roll the dough into 1 1/4 inch balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 17 minutes.
Oh, and you might want to let them cool before biting into one; they could burn the roof of your mouth. I may, or may not, have experience in this matter. *wink*
Just try them!
- 1 pound bulk sage sausage (or hot sausage*)
- 1 cup grated Sharp Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 cup grated Smoked Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 pinch cayenne (eliminate if using hot sausage*)
- 1 shake crushed red pepper flakes (eliminate if using hot sausage*)
- 1 -8 ounce can refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In large bowl, add sausage, both cheeses, rosemary, thyme, cayenne* and crushed red pepper flakes* (if using*) and mix well using hands or spoon.
- Unroll crescent dough on lightly floured work surface.
- Lightly flour the top side of the dough.
- Using pizza cutter or knife, cut dough into about ¼-inch square pieces.
- Mix crescent dough pieces into bowl of sausage mixture in small amounts until well blended.
- Shape mixture into 42 (1¼-inch) balls.
- Place on baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown.