This Slow Cooker Creamy Potato Leek Corn and Cheddar Chowder is a soup lover’s dream. The recipe is simple and cooks in your Crock-Pot for eight hours. Assembled in minutes, this hearty potato soup will be ready for some final additions when you return home from a hard day’s work.
My Crock-Pot suffered an unfortunate accident when I loaned it to a friend; it came back with a cracked crock. I hadn’t replaced it because I couldn’t decide what version to buy, but Mr. Saucy solved that problem for me by gifting me a real fancy-pants All-Clad Slow Cooker for Christmas.
I didn’t waste a moment putting it to use, either. Here it is on Boxing Day simmering beef stock from the Christmas rib roast bones:
I have used some of that same beef stock, which I froze, for this soup. You could use any stock you have on hand, or even water. It is much richer in flavor if you use some stock, though.
The peeled and cubed potatoes are added to the slow cooker along with the stock, cream (or milk), leeks, corn, minced garlic, thyme, salt, pepper. Then you just turn it on low and leave it simmering for eight hours.
Once that time has elapsed, crisp some bacon in a skillet and reserved the bacon fat. To the bacon fat you’ll add some flour and cook for a couple of minutes before adding a bit of cream. This roux is added to the soup in the slow cooker with some cheddar cheese.
The finished soup is topped with the crisped bacon and some chopped green onions.
This soup is so hearty and filling, so creamy and delicious. You must try it!
- 8 cups peeled and diced (about ¾" cubes) russet potatoes (about 8 medium-sized)
- 3 cups beef stock (or stock of your choice)
- 2 cups cream (or half & half, or milk), divided with 1 cup reserved
- 1 cup sliced leeks, washed and drained
- 2 cups corn kernels (I used frozen - no need to thaw)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon each kosher and ground black pepper
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, diced and crisped (fat reserved - about ⅓ cup)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 4 green onions, minced - optional garnish
- Add the potatoes, stock, 1 cup of the cream, leeks, corn, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Cover and set on low.
- Cook for 8 hours.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, in a small skillet over medium heat, crisp the diced bacon.
- Remove the crisped bacon to a paper towel to drain.
- Using the remaining bacon fat in the skillet, add the flour and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add the reserved cup of cream and stir to combine. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the roux to the soup in the slow cooker.
- Add the cheddar cheese.
- Allow the cheese to melt and the soup to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Serve the soup topped with the crisped bacon and green onions (if using).