In the time it takes for the pasta to cook you can have this fantastic Smoked Salmon Carbonara recipe ready for the table! Don’t like smoked salmon? Add the cooked meat or seafood of your choice! It’s a really great hectic weeknight meal.
Over the Memorial Day weekend I broke out my smoker for the first of the season. I had purchased a side wild-caught Alaska salmon and wanted to smoke it. This recipe is the result of using some of the leftovers. Of course, you don’t have to smoke your own salmon, you could buy a small package at the market for your pasta.
Really, this recipe is ready in the time it takes for water to boil and the pasta to cook. So, for my cook top, that is about 15 minutes, total. While the pasta is cooking, I melted some butter in a small saucepan, to that I added a clove of minced garlic and sautéed it until just tender (about 1 minute). In a small bowl, I combined eggs, heavy cream, lemon zest, chopped fresh dill and some grated Parmesan cheese and whisked them together.
Once the pasta was cooked and drained, I added it back to the hot pan, stirred in the egg mixture and tossed it with the hot pasta. Turned into a bowl and sprinkled with smoked salmon pieces, some more lemon zest and ground black pepper, the carbonara was ready for the table.
That is all there is to this super-easy, unbelievably delicious, fresh, vibrant-tasting pasta!
I hope you’ll try it soon!
- 8 ounces spaghetti, cooked according to package instructions for al dente.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan (or Pecorino) cheese
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped dill
- 4 ounces smoked salmon pieces
- freshly ground black pepper
- While the pasta cooks, in a small saucepan, melt the butter
- Add the garlic and gently saute for about 1 minute then remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, add the eggs, cream, Parmesan cheese, lemon zest and dill.
- Add the garlic butter and whisk to combine.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the hot pan.
- Add the egg mixture and toss well so the heat from the pasta lightly thickens the sauce.
- Turn the pasta out into a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle the top with the smoked salmon pieces and ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately.