Lately I’ve had salad on the brain. I suppose since it’s March (even though it doesn’t consistently feel like it), I’ve been dreaming of the Salad Days of Spring. This stunningly simple salad is just perfect for Meatless Monday, or any time really. It is loaded with crunchy freshness, as well as vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants and protein. And I cannot begin to tell you how utterly delicious it is!
I was in the market recently and they had the most gorgeous spring greens, so that fit in with my got-to-have-a-salad mindset. Around the corner was a big basket full of sugar snap peas; I snapped up (pun intended) a bag full. Then, there were the blueberries. Oh, my! That was it. A salad was born!
With the addition of some toasted slivered almonds, shallot, feta cheese and a balsamic reduction (I try to keep on hand all the time), this salad was just exactly what I’d been dreaming of eating.
The balsamic reduction is simple to prepare, and if you don’t already have some made, it is the longest part of the preparation for this salad. I’ve included the recipe below, but you could certainly use a balsamic vinaigrette instead. Trust me, though, it’s worth the little bit of time it takes to make the reduction.
I just arranged spring greens in a bowl. Then, I removed the ends and strings from the snap peas and blanched them for one minute, plunged them in an ice water bath, and dried them. The next step was to sprinkle the salad with minced shallot, toasted almond slivers, crumbled feta cheese (mine is homemade), and the washed and dried blueberries. Drizzle on some of the balsamic reduction and you’re ready to eat! This recipe will feed two as an entrée, or four as a side salad.
So simple, so fresh, so satisfying, this salad is one that you will make over and over again. I know I will! So, I hope you try it!
- 3 cups Spring greens, rinsed and dried
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas, ends and strings removed, blanched
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed and dried
- ½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 ounce feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- drizzle balsamic reduction
- Place the Spring greens into a bowl.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil.
- Add the cleaned snap peas and cook for one minute.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the snap peas from the boiling water and immerse in a bowl filled with iced water.
- Once the snap peas are chilled (about 1 minute), remove them from the water, dry them and add them to the top of the Spring greens.
- Add the blueberries, almonds, shallot and feta cheese to the content of the salad bowl.
- Drizzle on balsamic reduction, toss to combine and serve.
- ¾ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary leaves
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, combine the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup (or honey), Dijon mustard, garlic and rosemary.
- Using a whisk, combine until the mustard is incorporated into the liquid.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to partially cool.