Summer always means backyard grilling and nothing goes better with barbecue or grilling than coleslaw. This recipe for Spicy Cilantro Slaw has a Creamy Lime Dressing and a hint of heat; it’s my version of a recipe a friend of mine has made for years.
I’ve been firing up the smoker quite a bit recently and this slaw is always a favorite in the Saucy Household. A friend introduced us to a version of this slaw several years ago; I’ve never gotten his recipe for it, so this is my take on what he made.
I know that he used a prepared slaw dressing for his coleslaw and I never do. But instead of a traditional slaw dressing like I’ve posted before here, I decided to make a spicy-lime version instead.
All I’ve really done is to change the acid from apple cider vinegar to lime juice. Then, instead of sugar as a sweetener, I’ve used honey. To that, I added a bit of Cholula hot sauce for an extra kick.
The salad itself is simple…and you get to cheat if you wish by using a package of pre-shredded slaw mix! Woo hoo for shortcuts! The rest is simple too, some cilantro leaves, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and green onion.
This slaw is so darned tasty! I hope you’ll try it!
- FOR THE SLAW:
- 1 - 16 ounce package slaw mix (or about 8 cups of shredded cabbage and carrot)
- ½ cup minced green onion (about 5)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and membranes removed, minced
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon (or less if you choose) Cholula hot sauce (or the sauce of your choice)
- Place the cabbage mix, green onion, cilantro, garlic and jalapenos into a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lime juice, honey and hot sauce.
- Whisk to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad mixture and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate to chill, serve cold.