Whole grains, nuts, fruits and vegetables all come together in today’s recipe for Wheatberry (wheat berry) Wild Rice Salad. With the perfect mix of savory and sweet, this protein and high-fiber salad is excellent for Meatless Monday.
Wheatberry (or wheat berry) is the entire wheat kernel (bran, germ and endosperm); they have a wonderfully nutty flavor. Fortunately, they are much easier to find in local markets now. Most large chain grocery stores have them in their whole grain sections, or health food sections; all health food specialty stores carry them as well.
For this salad, I’ve used both wheatberry and wild rice; both are great sources of protein and fiber, as well as other nutrients. So, it is a nice addition to your Meatless Monday meal lineup.
There are both mildly sweet and savory elements to the salad. I’ve included apple, carrot, dried cranberry, red onion, celery, pecans, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and a titch of olive oil.
This salad is wonderful alone as an entrée, or can be served as a side dish with your favorite meal. Give it a try!
- ½ cup wheatberries
- ¼ cup wild rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 apple, cored, diced
- ½ cup dry cranberries
- ½ cup pecan pieces
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Combine the wheatberries, rice and water in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 50 minutes.
- Remove from heat, drain in a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Place the wheatberries and rice in a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.