This recipe for Grated Zucchini Crust Quiche is gluten-free; it’s loaded with vegetables like three types of greens: spinach, kale, chard (although you could just use one type), tomatoes, roasted red pepper, onion and herbs. Five eggs and a bit of goat cheese round out this simple (if not speedy) recipe. It is delicious.
I have had an idea to modify my Grated Potato Crust Quiche for a while now, using zucchini. It took me a bit of experimentation before I was able to make it work, but the result is just what I was looking for when I envisioned it.
Grated Zucchini is combined with onion, fresh oregano, a titch of salt, egg and rice flour. This is pressed into a lightly greased deep-dish pie pan and baked.
Once the crust comes out of the oven, the filling ingredients of greens, roasted red pepper, cherry tomatoes, more oregano, goat cheese, eggs, milk, garlic and mustard powder are added and the quiche is baked.
It takes a total of about an hour and ten minutes, but it’s worth the time. It has the Mr. Saucy Seal of Approval…and for a vegetable dish, that is saying something!
I hope you’ll try it!
- FOR THE CRUST:
- 4 cups grated zucchini
- ½ cup onion, grated, shredded or sliced thinly, drained or patted dry of moisture
- ⅔ cup rice flour (this to make it gluten-free, but you can substitute all-purpose flour if you wish)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves (or 1 teaspoon dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups greens chopped (I used a combination of kale, spinach and chard)
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ⅓ cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 5 eggs
- ⅓ cup milk (or half & half)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard powder
- FOR THE CRUST:
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Lightly grease a 9 inch deep-dish pie pan.
- Place the zucchini, onion, rice flour, egg, salt and oregano into a bowl and stir to combine well.
- Press the zucchini mixture into your greased pan, covering the bottom and up the sides to form the crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- FOR THE QUICHE:
- Turn the oven temperature down to 350°F.
- Place the greens, tomatoes, roasted red pepper, and oregano into a bowl and stir to combine (or whatever filling ingredients you prefer).
- Turn these ingredients out into the baked crust.
- Sprinkle with the crumbled goat cheese.
- Using the same bowl as you did for the vegetables, now empty, add the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and dry mustard, whisk together.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables in the crust slowly.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 25-30 minutes, or until the center is set.
- Remove from the oven and cool for about 10 minutes prior to slicing and serving.