Sharp Cheddar Cheese is the base for this creamy, dreamy Cheddar Bacon Horseradish Spread recipe; perfect as a spread for crackers or crusty bread, it’s also smooth enough to use as a dip for fresh vegetables (if served at room temperature). Make this for tailgating, ballgame watching, parties, or just to have as a snack. Ready in minutes, it’s a simple, but elegant and delicious addition to your favorite appetizers.
People often ask me where I get the inspiration for new recipes. Many times, I’ll see an item in the market and think, “Oh, that sounds good.” I’ll purchase the item for a taste test (don’t let it be said I won’t take a hit for the team), then I’ll either try to recreate it, or figure out a way to improve upon it.
This recipe is a perfect example of doing just that. I saw a cheddar horseradish spread in the store, bought it (even though the ingredients list would make you cringe), tried it and made my own version (minus the chemicals) and, I think, improved it.
Grated cheddar cheese is combined with cream cheese, heavy cream, pure horseradish, and distilled white vinegar in the food processor (or blender), then mixed until smooth and creamy. Once it’s smooth, it’s removed to a bowl and crispy bacon bits are stirred into the mixture. That is all there is to it.
And it’s simply delicious! I’m telling you right now…you really must try it! The tang of the sharp cheddar and horseradish, the crisp of the bacon, the creaminess? *thud*
Happy Fun-Food Friday!
- 8 ounces Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons pure horseradish
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup (about 6 slices) bacon, crisped and crumbled
- Place all of the ingredients, except the bacon crumbles, into a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
- Remove the cheddar mixture to a bowl and stir in the bacon crumbles.
- Serve at room temperature for smoother spreading.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to a week.