Happy New Year, friends! The first post of 2015 is for a fabulous, decadent and delicious breakfast casserole: Baked Croissant French Toast with Blueberries and Cream Cheese. You can make and bake it immediately, or prepare it in advance to bake later. Like breakfast for supper. On a busy Meatless Monday. *hint*
I sure hope you all had a wonderful holiday! Since this is twelfth night, the twelfth day of Christmas, I decided we needed a special treat! And since I had two packages of mini croissants in my pantry leftover from my New Year’s Brunch, I decided our special treat needed to be Croissant French Toast.
One of the greatest things about going blueberry pickin’ in the summer is having blueberries in the freezer in the winter. So I decided to add some to this French toast casserole. Consider them the healthy component. *wink*
Then, I had to add some little chunks of cream cheese because one of my favorite things is stuffed French toast. In addition, there is cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, a splash of bourbon, a titch of sugar, eggs and cream.
This is truly easy to put together! Just tear the croissants into pieces, you’ll need four cups worth. In a bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, bourbon and sugar until the mixture is frothy. Then, add in the croissant pieces and stir them to soak up the egg mixture. Toss in some blueberries and stir them in and you’re ready to put the mixture into a shallow baking dish and dot with cream cheese.
At this point, you may bake it immediately, or hold it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to bake. If you’re having this as a breakfast-for-supper dish, whip it up in the morning before you leave and bake it when you get home. Or, it’s perfect for holding overnight for a breakfast or brunch.
Serve it with your favorite syrup (I used some blueberry syrup I’d made).
Do try it, though.
- 4 cups torn croissant pieces
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup cream (or half & half, or milk)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon bourbon (optional, but it's so good in it)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg (fresh grated is best)
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a shallow baking dish, set aside.
- Tear the croissants and set aside.
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs.
- Add the cream, bourbon (if using), sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Whisk the egg mixture until frothy.
- Add the croissant pieces and gently stir so the croissants absorb most of the egg mixture.
- Add the blueberries and stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Dot the top with the cream cheese cubes.
- Place the baking pan into the preheated oven and bake for 55 minutes, covering with a tent of foil after 30 minutes (to prevent the croissant from over-browning).
- Remove from the oven when set and sprinkle with powdered sugar (if desired) and serve with your favorite syrup.