Buffalo Chicken Dip is all the things you love about Buffalo Chicken Wings made into a creamy dip that is perfect for snacking with chips, crackers or vegetables. Great for the Super Bowl, this dip goes a long way to feed a football-watching crowd! Plus, with this recipe I give a shortcut that makes this dip super easy to prepare and an ingredient addition to the standard recipe that gives it a really authentic flavor!
The recipe shortcut for this Buffalo Chicken Dip is such a no-brainer, but it’s not one I would have thought of using. I’ve always made Buffalo Chicken Dip using either chicken breasts or tenders that I’ve baked, wrapped in foil to steam. Or I’ve used a rotisserie chicken that I have pulled the meat from and shredded.
Mr. Saucy recently went on a fishing trip with his Buddy Boys (a group of guys he grew up with in Kentucky). One of the guys brought the ingredients for Buffalo Chicken Dip and he used canned chicken! It was one of the eureka moments! Canned chicken is perfect for Buffalo Chicken Dip for several reasons. One: It’s already cooked. Two: It shreds with zero effort. Three: You can keep it in your pantry all. the. time! So, this dip is mere minutes away from being ready any time you want to throw something together in a jiffy!
The second change from standard versions of this recipe is that I have added a bit of white vinegar. The original recipe for Buffalo Chicken Sauce contains butter, Frank’s Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce and white vinegar. It’s that vinegar that gives Buffalo Wings that distinct tang! Like, when you breathe in when you’re eating one and it clears your sinus passages? It’s the vinegar! So, vinegar just had to be in this dip. It just had to be!
So, canned white meat chicken chunks drained, cream cheese softened, Franks’ Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce, white vinegar, Ranch dressing and Blue cheese crumbles. All of that is mixed up in a bowl and spread into a shallow casserole. Baked until bubbly, topped with chopped green onions and you’re ready to snack!
Make this dip! You’ll be very happy you did!
- 2 large cans white chunk chicken (mine were 10 ounces, but I've seen 12.5 ounce cans too), drained and broken up
- 1 -8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup Ranch dressing
- ½ cup blue cheese, crumbled
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken, cream cheese, Frank's sauce, vinegar, Ranch Dressing and blue cheese in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer the chicken mixture to a shallow baking dish and place into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbling around the edges and heated through.
- Remove from the oven, top with green onions and serve with chips, crackers and/or vegetables.