This really simple three-ingredient cake mix cookie recipe is the perfect thing to mix up for your Valentine! Since Valentine’s Day falls mid-week next week, this quick and easy recipe is just three ingredients and takes minutes (really) to prepare! Drop them on a cookie sheet, or shape them into hearts. 💝💝
The inspiration for these cookies came to me before Christmas. I participated in the Food Blogger Love Cookie Exchange. It’s a way for fellow bloggers to raise money for charity and share cookies with each other. Each blogger sent out a box of a dozen cookies to three bloggers and then received three dozen in return. It’s so much fun each year!
One of the cookie boxes I received was from Elizabeth at Recipe Revival. She sent me Vanilla Mint Cake Mix Cookies. They were so light and fluffy! So soft and chewy! Mr. Saucy and I both loved them! She added mint chocolate chips to hers and the subtle minty flavor was perfection.
For this recipe, I’ve just sprinkled on some colored sugar in pink and red for Valentine’s Day, but as you can see, the possibilities are endless with regard to how you can change these cookies to suit your taste, mood, or event the event! Just add what you want to the mix and you’ve got an entirely different cookie! And you can use any cake mix you like!
Almost without exception, I am a scratch baker. But I have people tell me all the time that they just cannot bake from scratch. No matter what they do, their baked goods just don’t turn out. Well, these are pretty fool-proof!
Just add the cake mix to a bowl, add vegetable oil and eggs and stir it up. That’s it! No fancy equipment is needed. Then, scoop the cookies onto either a greased or parchment lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar.
I shaped mine into hearts by pinching the ball of dough into an exaggerated point for the bottom of the heart. Then, using my pinky finger, I pressed down an exaggerated round to form the top of the heart. I found that if you don’t exaggerate the shape it will disappear as the cookies rise. So, if you make hearts, be sure to over emphasize the shape.
Then, just bake them in the oven for 10-12 minutes.
These are so simple and so good! And your sweet deserves these sweets! 💝
- 1 package of any cake mix. (I used Duncan Hines French Vanilla Cake Mix)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Colored sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- In a large bowl, add cake mix, oil and eggs and stir to combine.
- Using a cookie scoop, or a tablespoon, make 36 (1¼") balls.
- Place 2" apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- OPTIONAL STEP TO MAKE HEART-SHAPED COOKIES:
- Using your fingers, pinch an exaggerated point on one end of each dough ball to form the bottom of the heart.
- Using a little finger, pull down deeply into the top edge of the dough to form the rounds of the top of the heart.
- Place the baking sheets into the preheated oven.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Allow cookies to cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.