This Mango Caramelized Onion Cheese Ball recipe is both savory and slightly sweet; it’s incredibly festive for the holidays, it is an awesome Meatless Monday appetizer, and it is also great for Mangover Monday! Not only all of that, it is absolutely delicious and super simple to make! Win!
I was at the market recently and they had the most beautiful mangoes, so I had to buy a couple. And with the holidays upon us faster than a wink, I thought a new cheese ball was in order.
I just love a cheese ball that has both sweet and savory elements; that is how this particular recipe was born. With the sweetness of the mango, I decided that some caramelized onion would be a good savory addition since caramelizing onions brings out the natural sweetness of the onion. I added a little twist to them, though…I drizzled in some balsamic vinegar at the very last-minute of the caramelization to enhance the sweetness of them even more.
The mango and the onions are combined with creamed cheese, rolled in parsley, pecans and sweetened dried cranberries. It is super simple and you all? You just won’t believe how good it is!
You must add this to your holiday appetizer menu!
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 mango, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon dried sweetened cranberries, chopped
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the softened cream cheese and diced mango.
- In a small skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the onions and slowly saute them (about 10 minutes).
- Add the pinch of salt and reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and stir to combine.
- Add the caramelized onion to the bowl with the cheese and mango and stir to combine.
- Form into a ball, wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour.
- Remove the ball from the refrigerator.
- Combine the parsley, pecans and cranberries in a bowl (this is a step I didn't do, but it will combine them better for better coverage on the cheese ball) and roll the ball in the combined ingredients until covered.
- Serve with crackers, veggies or bread of your choice. I'm betting this would be awesome with some cinnamon pita too!