No fondue pot? No problem! Serve this Smoked Cheddar and Gouda Beer Fondue recipe in a toasted bread bowl with wooden skewers to use as your fondue forks! This beer fondue, with the apple wood smoked flavor of Cheddar and Gouda cheeses, is absolutely perfect for Super Bowl snacking, dipping, and dunking! Actually, it’s perfect for any ol’ time.
One of the greatest things about this fondue is that I can’t imagine a single thing that wouldn’t taste wonderful dipped in its cheesy goodness. Just think of the possibilities! Pretzels, fruit, vegetables, crackers, chips, bread or bread sticks…oh, my!
Beer, cheese, smoky flavor, endless dipping options? What’s not to love?
Seriously. Make this fondue.
- 1 large round loaf crusty bread (I used a sour dough boule)
- One 12-ounce bottle lager beer (I used Yuengling)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces smoked Cheddar cheese, grated ( used apple wood smoked)
- 8 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, grated (I used apple wood smoked)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- FOR THE BREAD BOWL:
- Slice off the top ¼ of the bread with a serrated knife and set aside.
- Cut a circle around the inside edge of the bread, leaving a one inch border.
- Hollow the bread bowl by removing the soft bread out with your hands, making sure to leave about a 1-inch border at the bottom of the bowl as well.
- Cube the removed bread, as well as the top and set it aside for dipping.
- Place the bread bowl on a baking sheet and place in the oven until it is heated through and golden on the inside, about 30 minutes.
- FOR THE FONDUE:
- Combine the Cheddar and Gouda cheeses with the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Toss with your fingers until the cheese strands are coated.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the beer, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic powder and cayenne over medium heat until it is steaming but not simmering, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cheese in large handfuls, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Continue cooking and stirring until all the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- Add kosher salt, to taste.
- Pour the hot fondue into the warm bread bowl and serve with your favorite dipping options (be sure to include the cubed bread you've reserved from hollowing the bowl).