This Mediterranean-Style Burger is packed full of flavour; the trick of it is that the seasoning is in every single morsel of burger goodness. Break out the grill, it’s burger season!
Ever since I started to make my own Feta cheese, I’ve been using Feta a lot! Mr. Saucy and I both love it; he loves it so much he even dresses up his frozen pizzas with it (have I told you how much Mr. Saucy loves frozen pizzas? It’s all he will eat when I’m away from home*cringe*). Anyway, this burger uses Feta in the burger, as well as on it.
Several years ago, I started seasoning our burgers all the way through, instead of just on the outside of the burger. And let me tell you, that makes a world of difference in the taste! I take the meat I’m using (for this Mediterranean-Style Burger I used lamb, but you can use beef), and put it in a bowl where I mix in all the ingredients, just like making a meatloaf. I take off my rings and just dig my fingers into it to squish everything together before forming the patties.
In this burger recipe, there is finely minced onion, garlic, oregano, feta, salt and pepper. Any feta or onion exposed on the outside of the burger gets a nice char on it…Mmmmm Mmmm, good! Okay then, since this is a Five Ingredient Friday recipe, here are your ingredients:
- Ground meat
If the hamburger buns count as an ingredient, I’ll claim the extra from one of my four ingredient posts. *wink*
I topped the burger with more Mediterranean flavours (since garnishes are optional) and added Kalamata and Greek green olives, more feta, red onion, cucumber, tomato and lettuce. I put it all on a toasted onion bun and didn’t even use a condiment. I could have eaten three. Or six.
I do hope you’ll try these burgers the next time you fire up a grill…or at least try adding your favourite burger seasonings all through the meat. You’ll love the difference it makes.
- 2 pounds ground meat
- ¼ cup red onion, finely minced (I used my mini food processor to mince the onion and the garlic)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced (or ¼ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled and separated (two ounces to go in the burgers, two ounces to top the burgers)
- Garnish as desired with feta, olives, cucumber, onion, lettuce, tomato.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix all the ingredients well.
- Form the patties, this recipe will make either 4 enormous burgers, or 8 more standard-sized.
- Grill for the first few minutes over direct heat to sear.
- Remove to indirect heat to finish cooking to desired temperature.