Sorry, guys. Girls rule! At least on the Troutfest committee. Why is that? Because the guys sit around for endless hours
droning on about rehashing the same ol’ stuff. The girls? We get our committee work done so we can eat and drink! Priorities, people! This dip/spread is something I came up with on the spur of the moment before one of our meetings. It was one of those “use what you have because you’re desperate” ideas.
I’ve likened it to a BLT in a bowl…except I can’t come up with the “L,” so, it is P’s Bacon Tomato Dip. It’s also a spread. It’s also good enough to just eat with a spoon.
Not that I’ve ever done that, of course. Erhmmm. Anyway, it was a huge hit! Since it was such a huge hit, for once, I came home and wrote down what I threw in there! Win!
In addition to the Troutfest crew, my friend, Christie in Australia, has made it. And liked it. So has my sister, who will actually tell me when she likes or doesn’t like something! I thought I’d post it today, since the Fourth of July weekend is coming up. It’s perfect on a crudité platter, with or without crackers! It’s really wonderful with chips too, but be sure to use a ridged potato chip to hold up to it.
Nothin’ fancy, folks. Just goodness in a bowl. I think I’ll head downstairs and have a spoonful for breakfast! *wink*
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (I originally used garlic salt - until I made it with a very salty bacon. I'd suggest using the powder and then salting, to taste, if you think it needs it.)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded, diced small
- 4 green onions (scallions, spring onions) minced
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked very crispy, minced
- Fresh ground pepper and salt, to taste
- Place the first four ingredients into the bowl of your food processor, with the blade attachment, and mix until smooth.
- Stir in the tomatoes, onions, bacon and pepper.
- Taste and add salt, if needed.