This Cheesy Beef and Cabbage Casserole recipe is the perfect dish to warm you from the inside out. Not only is it hearty, it’s also incredibly healthy! Low carb recipes can be delicious; this is a great example!
Three weeks ago Mr. Saucy decided it was time for him to lose some weight and get more fit. I was thrilled and offered to do anything I could to facilitate his goals. The first item on the agenda was for him to start moving. Since he works from home building our company’s website and online store, he sits a lot. The second item was for him to change how he ate.
I have always prepared healthy foods, that wasn’t the issue. His issues were portion control and his love of hamburgers and frozen pizza. Now, hamburgers and frozen pizza wouldn’t be so bad every once in a while. But he’d eat two monster burgers for supper, two for lunch the next day, and when he ate frozen pizza (I never joined that one), he’d eat the entire pizza.
In three weeks, we’ve been walking every day. Also in three weeks I’ve worked with him on a low-carb lifestyle. I don’t like the D-word. He’s losing pounds and more importantly, inches. I’m so proud of him! I have been preparing low-carb foods and this casserole is an example of what I’ve made. The best part is he loved it. And he’s been loving all of the foods I’m making for him. That’s pretty key in being able to stick with a new eating plan.
This recipe is very similar to a Cabbage Beef Soup I make, but in casserole form. It contains beef, cabbage, onion, tomatoes with green chilies, cheese and some spices. If you prepare it in an oven-proof skillet, it can be a one-pan meal.
You don’t have to be living a low-carb lifestyle to enjoy this dish! Give it a try!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 cups shredded cabbage (about 1 medium head of cabbage)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 - 10 ounce can tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 ounces grated cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large, oven-proof skillet, over medium heat, add the ground beef to brown.
- Remove the ground beef to a bowl and drain all but 1 tablespoon of the fat.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the cabbage and onion and put on the lid.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Return the beef to the skillet along with the tomatoes, vinegar, chili powder, cumin, salt, coriander, oregano, garlic, pepper and 3 ounces of the grated cheese.
- Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 ounce of cheese on the top, place the skillet into the preheated oven and allow to bake for about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.