I have the love of grits; this love it strong. My adoration of grits causes me to use grits at every opportunity; it compels me to implore others to try grits and open their hearts to the love; it prompted me to develop this recipe for Stoneground Grits with Cheddar Cheese and Spicy Black Beans. This dish is perfect for Meatless Monday!
I’m not sure how or when it happened, but there is a deep-seated longing in me to encourage the love of grits. Perhaps it is because they are quintessentially Southern, perhaps it is because there is so much skepticism about them, perhaps it is because I am a stubborn cuss. Perhaps, it is all of those things rolled into one. *wink*
This particular recipe for grits came about when I was trying to come up with a new twist on a breakfast/brunch grit dish with a Southwest flair. That said, one of the most wonderful thing about grits is they aren’t just for breakfast. Grits bring a special comfort to any meal.
I know the recipe title says Stoneground grits, and they really are all I will prepare, but you could use quick-cook grits too. Just don’t tell me if you do. *smile* I do know that stoneground grits aren’t readily available outside the South, so use what you can find where you live. I will say, though, if you want to try stoneground grits (they really do have a more authentic texture and flavour) you can find and order them online.
Since the liquid required to cook grits varies by the grind and type of grits you use, I’m going to give you a simple formula for the same flavours I obtained in this recipe. That is, prepare the grits according to the package instructions using half water and half heavy cream as the liquid. Everything else will remain the same and is enough for two servings.
These are just wonderfully different and so delicious. I do hope you’ll try them.
- FOR THE GRITS:
- Grits for two servings, cooked according to package instructions, using half water and half heavy cream for the liquid.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
- a pinch of garlic powder
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- ½ tablespoon butter
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup mixed coloured bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons fresh jalapeño, minced
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- juice of ½ lime (about 1 tablespoon)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt the butter in the liquid mixture for the grits and bring to a boil.
- Add the grits and cook according to the time on the package instructions.
- Stir in the Cheddar Cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- While the grits are cooking, in a small skillet, over medium heat, melt the ½ tablespoon of butter.
- Add the onions and the bell pepper and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the black beans, jalapeño and garlic powder and continue to saute for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, lime juice.
- Remove from heat, salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, Add a portion of the grits to a bowl and spoon the black bean mixture over the top.