Today’s Five Ingredient Friday isn’t so much a recipe as a simple but elegant presentation for scrambled eggs with smoked salmon. With the holidays approaching, and houses filled with family and friends, this is a perfect breakfast that can be whipped up in minutes. And it’s only five ingredients!
Toasted English Muffins are the base for eggs scrambled in butter with red onion and cream cheese cubes; garnished with capers and slices of smoked salmon, you have a simply elegant breakfast entrée that will impress your guests. But…there’s no hassle involved.
When I entertain, or when it’s just me and Mr. Saucy, I love to make a pretty presentation. This version of scrambled eggs certainly fits that description. One of my favorite things is a big fat bagel, slathered with cream cheese, topped with red onion, capers and smoked salmon. It was a natural progression to add scrambled eggs to the mix, but I wanted us to be able to eat it with a fork…always easier for your guests, too. That is what brought the English Muffin into play.
The five ingredients today are:
- English Muffins
- Cream Cheese
- Red Onion
It seems a bit silly to give a recipe for this, since you could certainly wing it, but I’ll give you the measurements I used. Do, try this scrambled egg combination. You won’t be sorry.
- 2 English Muffins, toasted
- 4 Large Eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce cream cheese, ½" cubes
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained of brine
- slices of smoked salmon
- Toast the English Muffins and set aside.
- In a small non-stick skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until thoroughly beaten (you could add a titch of heavy cream, too - about 1 tablespoon per egg).
- Pour the beaten eggs into the skillet with the melted butter.
- Add the cream cheese cubes and red onions.
- Cook, stirring occasionally until the eggs are scrambled to your desired consistency (we love ours softer).
- Spoon the eggs onto the English Muffin halves, dividing the eggs between all four halves.
- Top with capers and smoked salmon slices and serve hot.