When I say it’s hot, I’m not talkin’ let’s-all-be-nice-an’-comfy-in-shorts-an’-a-t-shirt hot. I mean it’s if-you’re-not-nekkid-you’re-dyin’ hot; if-you-don’t-have-air-conditioning-you’re-campin’-out-in-the-market hot. It’s hotter than billy blue blazes out there! No kiddin’. We won’t even mention the humidity. We here in the south, well we’re used to hot and humid. It’s just down-right insultin’ for it to have come in late May and early June though. We shouldn’t be surprised by this heatwave…the Farmer’s Almanac TOLD us it was gonna be this way…but still…I guess we all hoped it would be wrong. For once.
Let’s put it one last way, it’s I have served BLTs for the last two nights in a row because, even WITH air conditioning, I didn’t want to cook anything hot. Are you gettin’ the picture?
So today, I said to myself, “Girl, you just gotta make some food besides a BLT. Your husband loves you, but he might not love you enough to eat that three nights runnin’. Just sayin’.” When I talk to myself like that, I have learned to listen.
All that ramblin’ is the explanation for this post. Tuscan White Bean Salad…my version…it’s like a cool, crisp meal in a bowl. AND there’s not a single burner, stove or microwave involved, no HEAT! The beans provide the protein, the vegetables provide the crunch and the herbs and aged balsamic glaze it all with just the right touch of lovely. It’s simple too.
- 2 19 ounce cans Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small tomato, diced
- ½ yellow or red pepper, diced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs calamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbs fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 Tbs aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Optional: A handful of Hot Pickled Green Beans, chopped
- Open the beans, drain in a colander and rinse.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir.
- Chill and serve.
I hope you’ll give it a try.
Edited to add…my darlin’ husband has said he’d be thrilled with BLTs as many nights in a row as I wish to make them up for him. Now, isn’t that just peachy?