Long, long ago; in a galaxy far, far away…Mr. Saucy and I would have what was dubbed “crappetizer” night. Each and every Friday, after a long day at work, we’d nosh on nasty, store-bought appetizers. I have to say, it’s not one of my finer food memories. However! What happened is that night has morphed into “Stuff Our Faces with Lovely Appetizers” night! And this is what we ate on one such delightful evening recently…Southwest Egg Rolls!
I’ve always loved egg rolls; I’ve always loved the flavours of the Southwest…so, I decided to pair the two. Oh, my ever-lovin’ goodness, are these delicious!
In addition, they are super easy…even though they look hard. Don’t you just love foods like that? Ones that make you look like some kind of super hero when they are finished? But they took, like, so little time or effort? Well, I sure do! And these are the ticket to that kind of glory, y’all.
First of all, egg rolls are ever so easy to roll. I found a video to show you just how simple they really are. You can find it here.
Don’t settle, like we used to do, for crappetizers…make up some lovely, delicious appetizers and have you a noshin’ night!
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 4 ounces, canned tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen, thawed) corn
- ½ cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients, but the egg roll wraps.
- Stir until combined.
- Remove the egg roll wraps from the package and drape with a damp towel.
- Place a heaping teaspoonful of the filling mixture on the egg roll wrapper and wrap it according to the video.
- Dab your finger into a bowl of cold water, rub the final triangle of wrapper and rub to seal it closed.
- Preheat frying oil to 375 degrees.
- Place the wrapped egg rolls into the hot oil, a few at a time, and fry for 2-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate.
- Slice each egg roll diagonally, place on a platter with dipping sauces to serve.