For Fun-Food-Friday I’m bringing you this irresistible recipe for Beer and Sriracha Candied Cocktail Nuts. As Oscar Wilde said, “The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.” So make them! Warning: They are highly addictive!
I don’t follow many food blogs, mostly because I like to keep my brain open to my own ideas, rather than be influenced by what others are doing. There are a few exceptions, and The Beeroness is one. She does all kinds of amazing and wonderful recipes using craft beers.
When she posted this recipe for Beer and Sriracha Candied Cocktail Nuts, I immediately printed off the recipe. I mean, yeah! I wanted them. Right. that. minute! Unfortunately, I didn’t have any mixed nuts in the house, so it took a couple of days before I went to the market. But these nuts were first on my list after I unpacked the groceries!
I’ve made just the tiniest of tweaks to her recipe. First, I doubled the amount of Sriracha. Then when the nuts were done, I realized I wanted them even hotter, because the heat is very, very subtle. So I sprinkled on a bit more cayenne pepper. Next time I make them I’ll be adding it into the mixture before they bake. I have given the measurements as I made them.
The second thing is, and it is likely because of the very humid day I made these, when I first took them out of the oven, the candied portion didn’t harden. So, I just stuck them back in the oven for about 20 minutes more to get a crunchy, caramelized coating once they cooled. In the recipe, I’ll give you her timing on it, and if you run into the same issue I did, you can just bake them a bit longer (I’ve made a recipe note about that).
You really do need to try them, though. Holy goodness, are they ever delicious. And addictive. No kidding.
- ⅓ cup IPA beer (or the beer of your choice)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2½ cups mixed nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper, silicone baking mat or aluminum foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- Set aside.
- Using a large saucepan, over medium heat, add the beer and brown sugar.
- Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a boil.
- Allow to boil, without stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter, Sriracha and cayenne pepper.
- Add the nuts, stir until all the nuts are well coated.
- Spread the coated nuts in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and bake for 6 minutes.
- Stir the nuts on the baking sheet and continue to bake for an additional 6 minutes.*
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, break apart.