Since Brussels Sprouts are in a cabbage family, I decided to use them raw in this recipe for Shaved Brussels Sprout Asian Slaw. Combined with thinly sliced sweet bell peppers, green onions, toasted almonds and chow mien noodles, the shaved Brussels sprouts are tossed with a vinaigrette of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and a bit of sugar and salt. Easy Peasy for Meatless Monday.
What are shaved Brussels sprouts, you ask? Simply, the Brussels sprouts are thinly sliced, either with a mandolin or using a knife. I mimicked the cut of the Brussels sprouts when I thinly sliced the sweet bell peppers; by using snacking-sized peppers I even got the same curve of the Brussels sprouts. Added to that are thinly sliced green onions, toasted almond slices and chow mien noodles.
What really makes this slaw, though, is the dressing. I used a combination of sesame oil (readily available in most major grocery stores in the International Foods aisle) and rice wine vinegar. This simple vinaigrette has a titch of sugar and salt added, too.
The flavor of the sesame oil is something you won’t want to miss out on, and it’s worth the purchase of a bottle to keep in your pantry.
This slaw makes an excellent Meatless Monday meal for 2-3 people, or a side dish that would feed 6-8 servings.
You must try this while Brussels sprouts are still beautiful and fresh in the markets. You won’t be sorry!
- 4 cups shaved Brussels sprouts (this means thinly sliced with a mandolin or knife)
- ½ cup thinly sliced sweet bell peppers (I used tri-color snacking-sized peppers)
- ½ cup thinly sliced green onion, using the white and green segments
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ½ cup chow mien noodles
- FOR THE VINAIGRETTE:
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- In a large bowl, combine the shaved Brussels sprouts, sweet bell peppers, onions, almonds and chow mien noodles.
- In a small bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt and whisk to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Gradually whisk in the sesame oil.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the slaw and toss to combine.