Today’s Meatless Monday is a recipe for Refried Bean Tostadas with Roasted Garden Vegetables. It’s a healthy, simple-yet-hearty version of the Southwest favorite, and it’s ready for the table in minutes.
Mr. Saucy and I just love Southwest inspired recipes and we love tostadas. As my Wee Kitchen Garden has started to put out the vegetables, I’ve been using them as quickly as they ripen.
So far, we’ve gotten peas, radishes, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, peppers, herbs galore, and tomatoes. For this tostada I have used spinach, squash, zucchini and peppers from my garden and little bell and cherry tomatoes from my friend, Sam. I added some corn from the market, some black olives and fresh cilantro leaves from my garden.
The vegetables (except the spinach) were tossed in a tiny bit of olive oil, pepper, cumin and coriander and roasted in a 400° oven for 15 minutes. They had that roasted flavor, but still a bit of a bite to them. The tostada shells went into the same preheated oven (on a different rack) for the last 5 minutes of the baking time. Fabulous use of the same oven heat!
While the vegetables roasted, I prepared the refried beans. First I sautéed a bit of onion in some olive oil, then added the beans, green chilies, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and coriander. Once they were hot, they were ready to top the tostada.
I decided to put the tostada on a bed of fresh baby spinach, rather than shredded lettuce for the increased nutritional value, but it was just delicious! I didn’t add cheese or sour cream or guacamole, just some black olives and a bit of chopped fresh cilantro.
These are killer! And so easy to prepare! Try them!
- FOR THE ROAST VEGETABLES:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, whole
- 2 cups sliced yellow squash and zucchini
- 1 cup sliced peppers (I used sweet red and banana peppers)
- 1 ear corn, kernels removed (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ground black pepper
- FOR THE REFRIED BEANS:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 -4 ounce can diced green chilies
- 1 -15 ounce can refried beans
- FOR ASSEMBLY AND GARNISH:
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves, washed and patted dry
- 4 tostada shells
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside
- In a medium-sized bowl, place the tomatoes, squash, zucchini, peppers and corn.
- Pour olive oil and cumin, coriander and pepper on the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Spread the vegetables on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer.
- Place into the preheated oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes of baking time, add another baking sheet with the tostada shells to heat in the same preheated oven on a different rack.
- While the vegetables roast, in a small saucepan over medium heat, add the teaspoon of olive oil until hot.
- Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, garlic powder, coriander and refried beans and cook until heated through and slightly bubbly.
- To assemble, add a handful of the spinach to a plate, place the tostada shell on top of the spinach.
- Add about ½ cup of the refried bean mixture to the top of the tostada shell and cover with roasted vegetables.
- Sprinkle the tops with black olives and cilantro.
- Serve hot.