Christmas morning is always a hectic time in households where festivities are celebrated. So, I decided to bring you a delightfully simple, five ingredient scone recipe that just screams Christmas! These Candied Fruit Scones are flavored with cinnamon and candied fruit but they are not too sweet; you won’t believe what sweetens them, you just won’t believe how easily they throw together! And there is no fancy equipment needed, just a bowl, a knife and a baking sheet.
The candied fruit I used for these scones is the kind that goes in fruit cake. I know, I know…a lot of people have a dislike of fruit cake…but this is just candied fruit. You could think of it like sweetened, dried cranberries (craisins)…it’s the same. The mixes of candied fruit are so festive looking and tasting, and usually have orange, lemon, cherries, pineapple and citron and can be found at this time of year in the produce sections of most markets. The cinnamon adds a hint of the holidays, too.
But the most surprising element is…are you ready? Lemon-lime soda. I don’t ordinarily drink carbonated sodas because I have a “thing” about high fructose corn syrup and most of them are loaded with it. But I recently found one that is made with cane sugar. Pepsi has a version of lemon-lime soda called Sierra Mist that is made with sugar. That is what I used when making these scones. Of course, if you don’t have the same issue I do with high fructose corn syrup, Sprite or any other lemon-lime soda would work.
And since it’s Five Ingredient Friday, the five ingredients are:
- Self-Rising Flour
- Candied Fruit Mix
- Heavy Cream
- Lemon-Lime Soda
I added an optional topping of sanding sugar to give them a sparkling surface. It did add a lot to the scones, so you may want to sprinkle yours with some sanding sugar, or to be even more festive, Christmas colored sparkles.
Just try these! They are delicious, it takes five minutes to throw them together and another 20 or so to bake them. Don’t be stuck in the kitchen, enjoy the celebrations! Make these scones and head back to the fun!
p.s.: Did you notice the plate? Of course, I had to use the FIVE gold rings plate from my twelve days plate set…for FIVE ingredient Friday. *big smile* I try to think of everything. *wink*
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- ¾ cup fruit cake candied fruit mix
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Lemon-Lime soda
- sanding sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the self-rising flour, the cinnamon and the fruit.
- Stir to mix.
- Create a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Pour in the cream and the soda.
- Using a knife, make slicing motions through the flour mixture until the dough comes together. Don’t stir. Just slice through the mixture in all directions.
- Turn the combined dough out onto a lightly floured surface and sprinkle the top with a tiny bit of flour to make it easy to handle.
- Knead the dough for just a minute, until it’s smooth.
- Place the kneaded dough onto the parchment lined baking sheet and press out until it is about a 9 inch round.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into pie wedges for the number of servings you desire. I got eight, but you could make thinner wedges and get 16. Leave the pieces together. This cutting just scores the dough for when it’s baking.
- Sprinkle the top with sugar, sanding sugar or colored sprinkles, if desired.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Serve hot with jam, or butter, or clotted cream.