This light, bright, flavorful Fettuccine recipe has fresh lemon juice, garlic infused olive oil, wilted spinach and a lightly sautéed combination of mushrooms. It’s a super Meatless Monday entrée that will give you a break from all of the rich foods of the holiday season.
I don’t know about you, but I crave lighter dishes during this time of the year when we’re feasting and snacking and dessert-ing on super-rich, fat-laden foods. This very easy pasta dish is a nice departure from that kind of eating.
Not only that, it takes just minutes to prepare. While the pasta is cooking, mushrooms are very lightly sautéed in olive oil (I used a garlic infused oil, but you could use plain olive oil, too); then, using the same pan, spinach is just barely wilted and removed from the heat. Once the pasta is cooked and drained, you toss the mushrooms and spinach in with it, add lemon juice and a bit more olive oil, salt and pepper, and some crushed red pepper flakes.
This is just delicious and a great weeknight-throw-together meal. I hope you’ll try it!
- 8 ounces Fettuccine, cooked according to package instructions for al dente
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided (I used garlic infused oil)
- 4 ounces mushroom slices (I used a combination of cremini, shiitake & oyster)
- 1 big handful of fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt, ground black pepper and crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring salted water to boil to cook the pasta.
- While the pasta cooks, in a small skillet, over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and heat it.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until very lightly sautéed (about 2-3 minutes).
- Remove the mushrooms from the skillet to a medium-sized bowl set aside.
- Using the same skillet, add the spinach.
- Cook just until the spinach starts wilting, about 30 seconds to one minute.
- Remove the spinach from the skillet and add it to the bowl with the mushrooms.
- In another small bowl, combine the lemon juice, the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add salt and ground black pepper.
- When the pasta is drained, add it back to the saucepan it cooked in and add the lemon juice, olive oil mixture and toss to combine.
- Add the mushrooms and spinach mixture, toss to combine.
- Serve in bowls or plates and sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes.