Gnocchi are little dumplings, made with a variety of ingredients; these are potato gnocchi that I paired with oven roasted broccoli, mushrooms, pearl onions, garlic and walnuts in a simple cream and Parmesan sauce.
Gnocchi aren’t that difficult to make, but I cheated on this recipe and used some imported potato gnocchi I found at my local market. Using a pre-prepared gnocchi certainly made this a speedy recipe to get to the table.
I tossed the broccoli, mushrooms, pearl onions, garlic and raw walnuts in a little bit of olive oil and roasted them in an oven-safe skillet for about 25 minutes. While they cooked, I boiled my water for the gnocchi, which cooks in about 3 minutes. Once the vegetables and walnuts were done, I removed them from the oven, added some cream , Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and crushed red pepper flakes to the same pan, then added the cooked gnocchi.
That was it. Done.
The oven roasting of the vegetables really, really, gave them a delicious flavour…almost nutty. Which explains why I added the walnuts; I wanted to enhance that nuttiness. Along with the Parmesan cheese, which is also nutty in flavour, this recipe is bursting with mouth-watering delight.
In addition to the flavour, walnuts are a high density source of nutrients, particularly proteins and essential fatty acids. So they make for a perfect addition to a Meatless Monday meal.
- 1 pound gnocchi, cooked according to package instructions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ pound fresh broccoli, chopped (this is about 2 cups)
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1½ cups pearl onions (I used frozen that I thawed first)
- 1 cup raw walnuts
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (this is about ¼ cup)
- 1½ cups cream (you could use half & half or milk)
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes
- In an oven-proof skillet, add the olive oil, broccoli, mushrooms, pearl onions, walnuts and garlic and toss to coat.
- Place the skillet in a preheated 400 degree F oven and allow to cook for about 20-25 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, bring a medium-sized sauce pan filled with water to a boil.
- Cook the gnocchi according to package instructions.
- Drain in a colander and hold.
- Remove from the skillet from the oven and place on the stove top over medium heat.
- Add the cooked gnocchi to the skillet with the vegetables.
- Add the Parmesan cheese, cream, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes so that the sauce thickens a bit.
- Garnish with a bit more Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Serve hot.