Five Ingredient Friday is here again, this time with a fabulous Salmon recipe. Poached in Marsala and topped with rosemary, capers and lemon zest it is full of flavour, ready in minutes, and perfect for a Lenten Friday.
For a while, I was on a real salmon kick; I was making it constantly. I think poor Mr. Saucy really got sick of it. It was with a bit of trepidation that I made this dish, thinking I may not have waited long enough to reintroduce salmon to our diet. Fortunately, he loved it!
While I often poach fish in wine, the Marsala I used for this salmon made a distinct difference in the flavour of the fish, compared to using a dry white wine. Since Marsala has so many uses, from drinking (as an apéritif, as a dessert wine, paired with cheeses or fruit) to uses in cooking (in desserts such as tiramisu or zabaglione; Marsala chicken, risotto dishes, in sauces or as a reduction), it is handy to have in your kitchen. I always keep a bottle specifically for cooking, along with sherry, vermouth and brandy. The Marsala I used was a Superiore, meaning it was aged at least two years.
Only the zest of the lemon was used for the cooking of this recipe, but I reserved the lemon to squeezed the juice over the salmon just before serving. The combination of the briny capers and the tang of the lemon was fresh and bright; along with the woodiness of the rosemary and the oak aged Marsala, the flavours were fantastic. Salmon, being naturally fatty, I didn’t use any additional oil; really, it wasn’t needed.
Since this is a Five Ingredient Friday dish, here are your five ingredients:
- Salmon fillets
- Rosemary (fresh)
- Lemon zest and juice
- Marsala wine
This is definitely one we will have again and again. I hope you’ll try it!
- 2 (6-ounce) salmon fillets
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 2 teaspoons capers
- ½ cup Marsala wine (or white wine)
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the salmon fillets in a shallow baking dish (with a lid), or you could make a foil pouch.
- Season each piece of salmon with salt and pepper, lemon zest, rosemary and a teaspoon of capers on each piece.
- Pour the Marsala into the baking dish and cover.
- Place the baking dish into a preheated 350 degree F oven and bake for about 15 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fillet).
- Remove from oven, squeeze lemon juice over the fillets and serve.