A twist on the classic pineapple upside down cake is a Mango Upside Down Cake. It’s made with fresh, delicious mango and two Wholesome® Sweeteners: Organic Dark Brown Sugar and Organic Coconut Palm Sugar. The rich flavor of these two sweeteners, along with a “secret” ingredient transform the ordinary into the extraordinary! I’m posting this as a Fun-Food Friday because what’s not fun about eating upside down cake?
I met the folks from Wholesome® Sweeteners in Austin last June when I attended BlogHer Food, a convention for Food Bloggers. Recently, they contacted me and asked if I would like to team up with them to develop recipes using their incredible products.
Since I had already developed an award-winning recipe for Bourbon Pecan Praline Tea Cakes using their products, it was a natural that I would whole-heartedly agree! In that post I talked about how much I admired the company and what they stand for:
Wholesome Sweeteners, formed in 2001, is the nation’s leading provider of sustainable, environmentally and ethically responsible, great tasting sweeteners. We specialize is supplying Organic, Fairtrade Certified, Non-GMO Verified sugars, syrups, and honeys, all made from nature’s best resources.
I just love that they are so committed to all of these aspects of business, and it is with pleasure that I tell you about their company. These are products that I buy and use regularly. That said, Wholesome® Sweeteners has provided me with product samples to make this recipe.
And holy cow…is it ever good! The Organic Dark Brown sugar is used in the base that becomes the top of this upside down cake. Melding with the mangoes, it creates a deep, rich, syrup that is divine! The Organic Palm Sugar is used in the cake itself; it is the texture and color of a light brown sugar and, like the dark brown sugar, adds amazing depth of flavor to the cake.
The “secret” ingredient I’ve used is a simple one that really enhances both the flavor of the mangoes and adds a nice hint of spice to the cake. It’s nutmeg! I grated fresh nutmeg using my micro-plane, and I highly recommend using fresh. It you don’t have it, ground nutmeg is fine. But do add it!
The rest of the recipe is simple. Just your standard simple cake recipe. Do not be afraid of scratch cake baking! This one is so, so easy! Do, try it!
p.s.: Shout out for a local business! I found that awesome wire cake rack at Dandy Lions Gifts in Maryville. If you haven’t been in there, you really need to check it out. They have the cutest array of gift items, stationary, jewelry, serving pieces and…purses, y’all!
- FOR THE FRUIT LAYER:
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ⅓ cup Wholesome® Sweeteners Organic Dark Brown Sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon water
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup Wholesome® Sweeteners Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- ⅔ cup half and half (you can use milk)
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup butter (4 tablespoons or ½ stick)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the melted butter in a 9" cake pan.
- Add the Wholesome® Sweeteners Organic Dark Brown Sugar, nutmeg and water. Stir to combine and spread evenly in the bottom of the cake pan.
- Place the mango slices on top of the brown sugar mixture.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, Wholesome® Sweeteners Organic Coconut Palm Sugar, baking powder and nutmeg, stir to combine.
- Add the half and half, sour cream, butter, egg and vanilla and beat with a mixer until combined and smooth.
- Spoon the batter over the mangoes in the cake pan and smooth to make it level.
- Place the cake pan into the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool just a few minutes.
- To remove the cake from the pan, invert on a serving plate so that the mango layer is now the top of the cake. Upside down! Yay!