This Creamy Spinach Dip recipe is ever so easy, creamy, dreamy and may be served cold, hot, or at room temperature. Perfect with chips, crackers, a crudité of vegetables, or even as a sandwich spread, it’s amazingly versatile.
The Blount County girls came over last Sunday for some girl time. As is our wont, we had champagne and an enormous spread of finger foods. While Donna isn’t much for eating anything green, I was craving spinach and decided to come up with a cold version of a spinach dip.
It being July, and it being the South (where our humidity is often equal to the temperature), I couldn’t bear the thought of making a hot dip that required the oven to be utilized. I didn’t even want to use the stove top.
Since I wanted to use onion and fresh, sweet red bell pepper, I used my quick and handy method for sautéing onions: a couple of minutes in the microwave! Butter, onions and red bell pepper are combined in a bowl and microwaved (on high) for 2 minutes.
To that, I added thawed frozen chopped spinach, cream cheese, sour cream, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper and some crushed red pepper flakes. Two more minutes in the microwave to soften the cream cheese, another quick stir and this dip was perfection.
We had chips, crackers and vegetables to accompany it; I think even Donna tried some! And you should, too!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup minced sweet red bell pepper
- 1 -10 ounce box chopped frozen spinach, thawed
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or less to suit your tastes)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large microwavable bowl, add the butter, onions and red bell pepper.
- Place in the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and add all the other ingredients.
- Place the bowl back in the microwave and cook on high for 2 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the microwave and stir the ingredients to combine (this just softens the cream cheese enough to make it creamy, without really making the dip hot*).
- Serve either chilled, at room temperature, or heated/baked until bubbly** with chips, crackers or vegetables.
**If you want a hot dip, you can microwave until bubbly (about 4 minutes on high), or bake in a 350° oven for about 20 minutes.