This Flatbread Pesto Portobello Pizza is not only delicious, it is a fabulous solution to that Monday-return-to-the-weekly-grind dinner dilemma because it takes just minutes to throw together. It’s also a great appetizer idea, cut into bite-sized pieces. It is a marvelous Meatless Monday meal option too!
Flatbread is really simple to make at home; so is pesto. But for this Flatbread Pizza, you can use store-bought everything for the sake of simplicity and speed. Honestly, you can have these pizzas ready in about 20 minutes, or less!
Most grocery stores now carry some type of flatbread and they make an excellent “crust” layer for individual pizzas. In this case, I’ve used Naan bread that I purchased at my local market. Any flatbread of your choice would work beautifully for this recipe.
The first layer is, rather than a tomato sauce, a thin spread of pesto. I’ve been making my own pesto for years now, but the store-bought jars of pesto are actually delicious and keep very well in the refrigerator, once opened.
The second layer is portobello mushrooms, onion and a bit of thyme sautéed in a tiny amount of olive oil just until softened. Once you spread the mushrooms and onion over the pesto layer, that is topped with some grated mozzarella cheese and a titch of Parmesan cheese. All that remains to do is to put the pizzas under the broiler until the cheese melts.
Voilà! You’ve just made dinner! Or, you’ve thrown together an incredible appetizer that would work beautifully with a nice glass of wine. Oh, sure…it’s Monday…but a little glass of wine would certainly help with the Monday whines.
Try these little pizzas…they are sure to please!
- 2 Naan breads
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- ½ onion, sliced thin
- big pinch of salt, ground black pepper, dried thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 2 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, shaved
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Place the naan directly on the rack of the oven and heat both sides for about 2 minutes each side. Remove from the oven and place on a cutting board to finish with the preparation of the pizzas.
- Spread a tablespoon of pesto on each piece of naan.
- In a small skillet, over medium-heat, add the olive oil, mushroom slices, onion, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cover and saute for until the mushrooms and onions soften (covering the skillet speeds this up).
- Divide the mushroom mixture over each of the pieces of naan.
- Divide and sprinkle the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses over the top of each piece of naan.
- Place back in the oven, directly on the rack, turning the oven setting to broil.
- Continue to cook until the cheese melts.
- Remove from the oven to a cutting board to serve.
You could also use a baking stone, rather than cooking these directly on the rack of your oven.