In the heat of the summer a refreshingly fruity, yet tart, cocktail can be ready in seconds to cool you off. Prepare to chill on the porch with four simple ingredients. Get shakin’!
Get shakin’? …Cocktail shaker? …errhmmmm.
In any event, this cocktail is a delight. And, it’s filled with things that are actually good for you! Pomegranate juice is purported to lower serum cholesterol, prevent arteries from clogging and is said to have antioxidant properties. Lemon juice, high in vitamin C, will ward off scurvy. With that in mind, this really could be considered for medicinal purposes. *wink*
The first time I made this drink, I handed a glass to Mr. Saucy to try. Not being a martini drinker, I guess he wasn’t familiar with the “you must sip them” rule. His first comment was, “Girlfriend (yes, we’re married, but he still calls me girlfriend), this is a mighty small glass!” Then, he took a huge glug. Then he sputtered and coughed. There’s nothin’ girly about this cocktail. He soon got the hang of it, though. I knew he’d pull through in the end. *smile*
It makes for a lovely way to wind down the day with a sip-sized frosty glass of goodness.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 2 ounces Cointreau (or other orange liqueur)
- 3 ounces pomegranate juice
- 1 ounce fresh lemon juice
- lemon twists for garnish
- sugar rim (optional)
- Pour the vodka, Cointreau, pomegranate juice, and lemon juice into a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice.
- Cover, and shake until the outside of the shaker has frosted.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Add lemon twist and serve.