Brussels Sprouts get so little love amongst vegetables; this being, I think, because most people have not had them prepared in a way that makes them shine. This version does that, oh-boy-howdy, does it. There are no excuses to not eat these little cabbages, they are truly gems of the garden.
It is a benefit of wedded bliss that both Mr. Saucy and I adore Brussels sprouts. There was no need to convince him of their total deliciousness, he came to me that way; this was a good thing. As a matter of fact, he loves them so much, this was one of his Christmas gifts from our niece and nephew:
I don’t know another man on the planet who would be overjoyed with such a gift. Honestly, we’re a match made in heaven, I tell you.
For this recipe, these beautiful buds are oven-roasted with partially crisped bacon (that finishes crisping in the roasting), the fat rendered from the bacon and some pecans. Isn’t everything better with bacon? And pecans? With the addition of a little bit of salt and pepper, that is all there is to turn any Brussels sprout detractor into a fan.
They couldn’t be more simple to prepare, so do it. Even if you think you don’t like Brussels sprouts, try this recipe and hop on-board the Brussels sprouts bandwagon!
Oh! And! There will be some errant leaves that fall off of the sprouts when you toss them into the skillet. They will get crisp and charred looking. Do NOT discard them! Those toasty little pieces are better than any potato chip. In. The. World. That is all.
- 2 ounces thick-cut bacon (about 4 slices), diced
- ½ cup pecans, broken
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, ends cut, outer loose leaves removed, halved if large
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a cast-iron skillet (or other oven-proof pan), over medium-high heat, add the bacon.
- Cook until the bacon begins to crisp around the edges (about 4 minutes).
- Add the pecan pieces and stir.
- Continue to cook until the pecans are toasted.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and stir to coat with the bacon fat.
- Place into the preheated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, or until the Brussels sprouts are tender and browned.