Happy Five Ingredient Friday! And since it’s Friday, with football games and tailgating going on this weekend, and with Halloween so close, not to mention Fall festivities ahead, I decided to make a really simple cheese ball for you…pumpkin shaped to fit any of your Autumn entertaining needs.
I’ve been doing parties and entertaining for years; it’s one of my favourite things to do! Through the years, I’ve done countless cheese balls and shaped them to match the theme of whatever party I was having.
There have been pineapple-shaped cheese balls, fish-shaped cheese balls, football-shaped cheese balls, and one of my all-time favourites, a hot chili pepper-shaped cheese ball that was coated in paprika and had a green pepper stem. That’s just to name a few, but you get the idea. I love using creatively shaped cheese balls to enhance the party “story.”
If you’ve been following my recipes, you know how much I love cheddar cheese straws. As a matter of fact, a couple of weeks ago I brought you Cheese Straw Crackers shaped like pumpkins. So, I decided to bring those same zippy flavours to this cheese ball.
I used a combination of cream cheese and sharp cheddar cheese. I actually combined white and yellow cheddar, but you don’t have to do that. All I added was some cayenne pepper, garlic powder and Tabasco. Super simple. Then, using my hands, I formed a flat-ish ball with an indentation in the top, pressed grooves into the sides with my finger and used a gourd stem for the pumpkin stem.
So, here are your five ingredients:
- Cream Cheese
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
I couldn’t be easier, or more darling. Bring a little whimsy to your Fall entertaining, or snacking by making this Spicy Cheddar Cheese Ball Pumpkin recipe.
p.s.: You don’t have to shape this like a pumpkin…it’s great for anytime!
- 10 ounces Extra-Sharp Cheddar Cheese, grated (I used 5 ounces of Vermont White and 5 ounces of Wisconsin Yellow)
- 1- 8 ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on your comfort)
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste (I didn't salt ours)
- gourd stem for garnish, optional
- Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine.
- Shape mixture into a flat-ish ball, make an indentation in the top center to hold your stem.
- Using your finger, make vertical grooves in the ball to resemble the grooves in a pumpkin.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place the gourd stem into the center top of the cheese ball and serve with crackers and vegetables.