This Corn and Tomato Salad recipe is the essence of the sweet flavors of Summer. Surprisingly simple, fresh and refreshing, it’s the perfect addition to your Summer salad lineup.
Mr. Saucy and I really adore corn and I have numerous ways I prepare it for us during its peak of freshness in the summer. One way is this salad of sweet corn, cherry tomatoes, red onion, fresh basil and a simple red wine vinaigrette.
The natural sweetness of the corn, tomatoes and basil are enhanced by the vinaigrette, which adds a touch of tart for balance. And since it’s Summer, when we really don’t like to heat up our kitchens with a lot of cooking, the only heat from this recipe is the three-minute blanching of the corn in boiling water.
After that three minutes, the corn is plunged into cold water to halt the cooking process. Then, it’s just a matter of tossing all of the ingredients together. The salad can be served at room temperature, or chilled, as you prefer. Since it has nothing that will spoil in the heat, it’s a great salad for picnics and outdoor parties where you don’t have refrigeration handy.
I hope you’ll try it!
- 4 ears sweet corn, cut from cob, blanched for 3 minutes, plunged into cold water, drained and dried (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered, depending on size (I used a combination of red and yellow)
- ⅓ cup small diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Red wine vinaigrette:
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large bowl, place the blanched corn, tomatoes, onion, basil, salt and ground black pepper and toss to combine.
- Drizzle on some of the red wine vinaigrette and stir. Taste and adjust.
- Chill or serve immediately.