Black-Eyed Pea Dip: It is a great twist on refried bean dip.I made this recipe for the first time on New Year’s, since eating black-eyed peas is a tradition of good luck for the new year in the South. Recently, as I was digging around for something to snack on, I spied a can of black-eyed peas in the pantry and was reminded of it.
This is one of the easiest recipes to throw together! I promise. It’s probably less than 10 minutes. The longest wait is the baking time, but it’s worth it in the end. Bubbly hot, cheesy beans with a hint of heat all in chip-scoopable form. What’s not to love?
I’m very particular about the beans I use, however. Years ago when I started reading labels and discovered all the products which contain high-fructose corn syrup, I was appalled. Truly. That stuff is in everything! Why? I just don’t understand why so many products are sweetened. It’s not just in soft drinks…it’s everywhere! If anyone wants to discover the cause of the rise in obesity and diabetes, I’d suggest they look into this phenomenon. /steps off soap box
At any rate, most of the canned beans on the market contain high fructose corn syrup. Bush beans do not. They are pure bean goodness, in every variety. You can’t go wrong.
This good luck black-eyed pea dip needs to be added to your snacking repertoire. Stat.
- 1 -14 ounce can Black-eyed Peas (I use Bush's because they don't add unnecessary junk, like high-fructose corn syrup) drained, rinsed
- ½ small onion, minced
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos, diced
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons salsa (I used some I made recently, but jarred salsa would work fine)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the drained and rinsed black-eyed peas in a bowl.
- Using a fork, partially mash the beans, leaving some of them whole.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Place the mixed ingredients into an oven proof baking dish.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the beans are bubbly and the cheese is browned on top.
- Serve with corn tortilla chips.